Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The State of Free Wireless in NYC: It Fuckin Sucks

So here's my story. Take heed. I stopped by my favourite little tea shop only to find that, likely on account of the great tea, good company, and plentiful free wireless, there were no available seats. Naturally I responded to this by going to a mediocre coffee shop whose only saving grace is outdoor seating directly opposite Tompkins. This place charges for wireless, which is a stupid fucking thing to do. But often I can pick up some other network from an out-of-doors seating place. Today, however, I could not. So then I went up to Union Square, stupidly assuming the city maybe put some wi-fis up there. They clearly did not, and no one else stepped in to fill the gap. I then trecked on down to Whole Foods Bowery because they have a free wi-fi and you need not buy. But that shit was fucking down.

The point here is pretty simple: if you live on the first or second floor of a building, don't password protect your shit. I live too high for this rule apply to me, but those of you to which it does need to get on the ball.

No comments: